1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
4 large eggs, set at room temperature
1 cup milk (you can substitute buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
semisweet chocolate chips
Note: If you don’t have self-rising flour you can make them at home. For each cup of all-purpose flour, you need to add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
1. Preheat oven to or 390°F or 200°C. Line your muffin tins with cupcake papers, about 24.
2. In a bowl put in the flours, stir to combine and set aside.
3. In your mixing bowl, mix the butter with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
4. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating milk or buttermilk and vanilla.
7. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overmix.
8. Spoon the batter into the cupcake papers, filling about 3/4 full. Drop in a teaspoonful of chocolate chips to each before putting them in the oven.
9. Bake in a 350°F or 180°C oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick/cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Cool the cupcakes in the tin for 15 minutes.
11. Remove cakes from the tins and put on a wire rack before icing.
12. Ice with your favorite frosting/icing.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking: 20-25 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Adapted from Magnolia’s vanilla cupcake recipe. Story behind and more photos here.