Early morning yummy smell. That’s what woke up the kids on a Saturday morning. The weather hasn’t been so cooperative – summer at 14 degrees? It’s not really that bad…I’m not really a summer person. I enjoy 18-22° more than sunny 30° or up. I’d prefer that too over rainy days and especially when I’m staying at home finishing translation jobs.
So along with the rainy and cool atmosphere I baked these yummy breakfast treats. Normally they’d prefer doughnuts, croissants and semmels but they wouldn’t say no to cupcakes either.
My youngest loves choco bits on top of his so I made these with especially loads of them. He’s been allergic to cow’s milk as a baby so he grew up having soya milk…since he turned five the doctor gave a go for cow’s milk which he loves so he would often request some. That mug, by the way, was one he designed at the kindergarten.
For the recipe, I’m still using my old recipe and here..I’m reposting it.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
4 large eggs, set at room temperature
1 cup milk (you can substitute buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
semisweet chocolate chips
Note: If you don’t have self-rising flour you can make them at home. For each cup of all-purpose flour, you need to add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
1. Preheat oven to or 390°F or 200°C. Line your muffin tins with cupcake papers, about 24.
2. In a bowl put in the flours, stir to combine and set aside.
3. In your mixing bowl, mix the butter with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
4. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating milk or buttermilk and vanilla.
7. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overmix.
8. Spoon the batter into the cupcake papers, filling about 3/4 full. Drop in a teaspoonful of chocolate chips to each before putting them in the oven.
9. Bake in a 350°F or 180°C oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick/cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Cool the cupcakes in the tin for 15 minutes.
11. Remove cakes from the tins and put on a wire rack before icing.
12. Ice with your favorite frosting/icing or serve as is.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking: 20-25 mins
Total Time: 55 mins